Your smile is usually one of the first things people notice about you. Depending on how your teeth look, your smile can be a real asset or a source of insecurity. If it’s the latter, you’re probably wondering how to boost your smile with cosmetic dental procedures, like teeth whitening. As you explore your options, you’re also probably thinking about this question: how much does professional teeth whitening cost?
To quickly answer the question above, professional teeth whitening costs can vary. It can start at around $250 to as high as $1500. Here at SmileBar, we’ve made in-chair teeth whitening more affordable. We offer a treatment package priced at $199 (a 60-minute in-chair session) and another at $249 (a 90-minute whitening session).
But to give you more perspective, let us discuss how professional dental whitening costs fare compared to other teeth whitening options in Australia. We’ll also explore the key differences between professional and at-home teeth whitening options.
At-home teeth whitening is cheaper, but is it effective?
When it comes to whitening your teeth at home, using whitening toothpaste is probably the easiest and most affordable option. You can get a tube for under ten dollars. Whitening toothpaste can remove the stains on the surface of your teeth, usually caused by drinking coffee or tea daily or smoking regularly. But it will take a bit longer to see results compared to other dental whitening methods. Plus, whitening toothpaste usually contains abrasive ingredients to address surface stains. These might not be the safest option for your tooth enamel in the long run.
Whitening mouthwash is another affordable at-home teeth whitening option. You can get a bottle at around $10, but you have to be wary of the ingredients. Like whitening toothpaste, some whitening mouthwash brands are formulated using abrasive ingredients that can do more harm than good. You can find organic whitening mouthwashes nowadays, but they don’t offer the same results as the in-chair option. You might have to use them along with whitening strips to achieve your desired results.
Whitening strips come preloaded with a whitening formula. They’re easy to apply, but the time you need to leave them on your teeth depends on the whitening kit. You may have to repeat the application several times to get the best results. You’ll only need to pay between $30 and $50 for a box of whitening strips. Compared to whitening toothpaste & mouthwash, strips are more gentle on the teeth and the gums. However, professional oral whitening is still a faster method.
Undoubtedly, at-home teeth whitening options are more affordable than an in-chair dental whitening session. But their effectiveness isn’t comparable to the professional option. Plus, the safety of whitening toothpaste & mouthwash might be questionable. You’ll need to dig deeper to find brands that won’t damage your tooth enamel in the long run while making your teeth a few shades whiter.
Why does in-chair teeth whitening cost more?
Here are some factors that influence professional teeth whitening costs:
- Strength of chemicals: Some at-home teeth whitening treatments contain bleaching agents like hydrogen peroxide, but they are not as strong as those used in professional whitening practices. Plus, when you have your teeth whitened in a dental office, you can be assured that the chemicals are used in a controlled and safe environment. Here at SmileBar, we safely use the maximum allowed strength of six per cent hydrogen peroxide in our teeth whitening treatments to deliver the best possible results in 60 to 90 minutes.
- Safety: Again, when you opt for an in-chair treatment, you can be in a safe environment to combat teeth stains using bleaching agents. You can’t say the same when you go the DIY route. Handling & using at-home teeth whitening products without professional guidance comes with a few risks.
- Personalised experience: Unlike at-home teeth whitening options, in-office dental whitening typically allows you to select a shade you wish to achieve. From there, the dental professional can assess your teeth and tell you what needs to be done to get the results you’re hoping to achieve.
- Instantly noticeable results: Over-the-counter teeth whitening products may be cheaper, but they take users a lot longer to see any noticeable difference. On the other hand, professional teeth whitening here at SmileBar, for instance, gives visible results in only 60 or 90 minutes. You might have to come back for a few more sessions to achieve the shade you truly desire, but your teeth will instantly be a few shades whiter right after the first session.
- Longevity of results: Whitening strips may provide visible results without costing much, but those results won’t likely be long-lasting. Alternatively, professional teeth whitening may be a bit more costly, but its results can last longer. And with proper aftercare, you can show off your brighter smile for a longer time.
Book your professional teeth whitening treatment today.
Are you ready to experience a safer and more effective teeth whitening treatment? Schedule a session with SmileBar today. Book it online, and you can save $50. We have locations in Adelaide, Gold Coast, Melbourne and Sydney to make the service convenient for you. Feel free to reach out to our team if you have more questions.